Sunday, February 5, 2012

What's Next? Altered Textiles

Pets.  Yes, there are two cats and a dog.
This is a 22 inch square wallhanging in the making.  The background is a hand-pieced Drunkard's Path traditional design I made about 2006.  The ladies with their pets are appliqued on batiks and quilted using embroidery floss.  Sequins and seed beads, ribbons, and trims are hand stitched on and all three will have felt backings.  Small fussy cuts from a novelty print will be appliqued on and at the top are two hand-painted leaf prints using real leaves.  I will finish this wallhanging with traditional binding.  I call this one "Cosmo".

My pets sleeping on Christmas Day, 2012.  Natalie and Jena, both age 10.


My grandson, age 4, enjoying his pet, Toby.  Nov. 2011.


Very tiny altered art textile in progress using dyed wool, a vintage postcard that has been cut up in two pieces, printed novelty fabric, ribbon and trims--hand quilted on to a wool background using a thin batting and  muslin backing.   It will be finished with a traditional binding and mounted on a muslin sleeve stitched to an artist board and displayed on a shelf stand.  I call this one "Come Away With Me".

The project in the center of my work space is a challange assignment for my quilt group that meets once a month at Ruby Street Quilts in Tumwater, WA.  We are to design an art quilt using a landscape theme.  Not much to see yet but I got a great start on this.  I will need to finish it by our meeting on Jan. 19.  It's called "RVing:  Indian Summer".  I am excited about all three of these projects and will get them finished soon.  I have vowed not to move on to any other textile projects until these three are completed.  Wish me luck.
Char

No comments:

Post a Comment