Sunday, February 26, 2012

"Road Trip"


Just finished one of the projects I started in Jan.  This one is called "Road Trip" and measures 8" by 10".  All hand stitched.  I am into chopping up conversation prints (also called fussy cuts) and adding pieces from other things in my quilting.  I will ride this out until I have had enough, but so far it is just a lot of fun
.
This was an assignment for my art quilt group to create a landscape.  It is tiny, 8" by 10".  The only machine stitching on this is in the binding.  Every thing is appliqued and hand quilted with embroidery thread.

This little quilt was on display at Short Term Gallery in Baker City, Oregon  and sold to an  artist who design pottery sculptures  of vintage RV's.  She and her husband travel to shows in a refurbished Air Stream and they purchased the tiny quilt to hang on the wall of their RV.  Last I heard,  it was headed for a show in Denver in August 2012.

( Some of the projects listed below are still unfinished as of Sept 27, 2012, but I will finish them--hopefully before the end of 2012) 


 I have two more projects started in Jan. to finish and two assignments for the March meeting of my arts quilt group.  One is to create a study in lights and darks,
 (Note:  I did finish that one and named it "Cream?")
  and the other is to do a still life.  I got them both started.  The still life is using a fussy cut of a combine.



And then I found an old photo, ca 1900, of a dude operating an old farm machine.   I think it is a used for haying.  I made a line drawing  which I will embroider using dark thread on a light ground for my dark and light study.  I'll combine both assignments into one piece. 


  I am ready to start
And it will end up looking sort of like this...hopefully better.  My sketches are entertaining to say the least, but it gives me an idea for placement and I can note what fabrics and embellishments to use.  This needs to be a reality by mid March...Yikes!


But I am getting ahead of my self... I need to finish the girls first...



and the couple...



"Come Away..."
Finished Aug. 2012 and on display at The Short Term Gallery in Baker City, OR
This quilt features a 1909 post card that was in my grand parents stuff, and a leaf-print from my friend Nancy.  The rest are fussy cuts stitched to dyed wool.  No batting as the wool was thick.  It is hand quilted using embroidery floss and mounted on art board with a blanket stitch.


But right now, I'm headed downstairs to watch The Voice.




No comments:

Post a Comment