Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Leaf Prints on Muslin

Leaf prints, acrylic on muslin

Here are some of the leaf prints my friend, Nancy, makes.  I have known her for many years and she has made these for almost as long as I've known her.  She gathers leaves in the early fall and makes a batch in several colorways.  Over the years she has perfected the paint she uses, how to apply the paint, and the method of pressing them on the surface.  At first she printed them on cards and now she prints them on muslin and makes lovely quilted table runners.  

I just had an update from Nancy...it is now fall of 2012 and she is ready to do another batch of leaf prints, but is having trouble finding the paint colors she likes to use.  Isn't that the way...find a product you like and guess what...they change it or stop making it!
The golden paint color did not scan well, but you get the idea.  The top is a maple leaf, bottom right a white oak, and bottom left red oak.  I purchased a batch from her and cut them into individual pieces.  These are being embellished with felt tip markers and dark brown embroidery floss.  The red oak is ready for me to use as an applique, the large maple is halfway done, and the white oak leaf has had nothing done to it.  These will be used in two different quilts.

I used the largest leaf print in a quilt I named "Road Trip" and one of the smaller prints in a quilt I named "Come Away..."  Both finished quilts are shown in my entry "Road Trip" dated Sunday Feb. 26, 2012.

Char

No comments:

Post a Comment