Sunday, February 3, 2013

When Did I Start Sewing?

This is in response to Emily's Sew Thinky Thursday group on www.threadbias.com
Take a look.  There are some great stories and pictures posted by that group.

The question this week  is:  "When did you start sewing?"

I wanted to sew from the day I realized my Grandmother Minnie made my Sunbonnet Sue quilt and an Overall Sam quilt for my brother.  My mom did her best to get me sewing and was my first 4-H leader.  I was 9 and in the forth grade.  My very first project was a pink cotton scarf with pulled thread edges and a crayon designed pressed into one corner.


(This is not the quilt my grandmother made but will hold the spot until I can insert the actual pic.)

And I was was hooked on sewing and 4-H.  I started entering my sewing projects when I was in the 7th grade.  I belonged to a 4-H group led by the twin's' Mom, Susan and Sally were the girl's names, but I just knew their Mom by Mrs. Damon.  We made aprons and then dresses.  I think I won a ribbon.  But I started making my own clothes from that point on and continued making things and learning until my children did not want me to sew for them anymore.  


My kids, well into their 30's now.  

So, I changed my focus and joined a quilting group.  My mentor was Elizabeth and she stared me out learning how to hand-cut pieces from templates and stitch them by hand.  It was a valuable process and I completed my first quilt, a tulip wall hanging.  I was hooked!


This is a Round Robin completed by one of my early quilt groups.  Round Robins were very valuable to me as they pushed me into thinking about new colors and designs, not ones I was comfortable using.  It forced me to learn new techniques and required me to meet deadlines, complete projects, and appreciate my own work.  Since then my favorite projects are mystery quilts and challenges.  The plus to these groups is that I get to meet many people and form wonderful friendships.


My hardest quilt was a log-cabin, barn raising variation that was commissioned.  Oh my, what a learning experience and huge challenge.  But how proud I was to finish it and present it to my client.  She was gracious enough to allow me to show it in a local quilt show.  She sent pictures of it to me later displayed beautifully on her guest room bed.  She had the room painted to show it off.  I will probably never make another quilt as large or accept another commission quilt, but I am glad I had that experience.


Center block made of of four 12.5 inch- log cabin blocks set with dark sides to the middle.  


Me at the quilt show with the completed Log Cabin queen-size quilt.  I was so proud of myself.  I felt my Grandmother Mini standing there with me enjoying the moment.  Afterall, she was the inspiration to get me stared all those years ago.


Minnie standing in the center with her beautiful mother and sisters about 1900.


Minnie, as I remember her standing with my Grandfather Cecil.



1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, I love that sunbonnet Sue quilt! My great-grandma made me one with a girl holding umbrellas - I'm sure it's a traditional pattern but I don't know the name. One day I will make one. :)

    ReplyDelete