Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Blood Moon



"Blood Moon"
 Size 16" by 20"
by Char Wirfs
Finished Sept. 2012
Displayed at Short Term Gallery, Baker City, OR
Currently displayed in my daughter's home

Last Feb. I was handed a red bag of mystery fabric as part of a quilting group challenge and was asked to use as much of the fabric as possible to create a project.  There was a lot of black and white prints and a square of bright orange and a square of turquoise.  I had just read about bargello strips and decided to use that pattern as my inspiration, moving the turquoise solid down each time.  I had just started when I decided to add some drama by putting more solid dark strips between.  Notice I started the strips straight up and down and then switched to slanting them.  I finished with a straight edge to pull the composition back to center.

I liked the results and decided to add a moon to the composition.  I used white embroidery floss to quilt.  I had not intended to give the project as Asian influence, but Bingo...it went there.

Sometimes I look at the finished quilt and see a moon reflected in water and sometimes I see a harvest moon rising against a darkening Nov. night.
My son fell in love with the finished wall hanging and I traded him the little quilt for a really nice red pair of art-glass earrings.  Win! Win!


Me with new earrings.  I love red.

So I had quite a few scraps left over and thought about making a sampler.  The entire alphabet is squeezed into this design.  It is not finished yet, but it will be.  These two projects are quite different, but came from the same little red bag of mystery fabrics.  Next week I get a new bag.  wonder what will come from that....?.....


"Sampler" 
Size: 18" by 24" 
unfinished top that I have decided to finish and it will be on display at
Art Presence Art Center Galleria in Spring of 2022.
by Char Wirfs

1 comment:

  1. Checked out your blog after Diane emailed the link... really enjoyed your postings. Hope to see you at the art quilt group. Your work with the notan images is very interesting. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete